Kevin Mark Klughart

PhD, PE, JD, MIP, LLM

Patent Attorney / Engineer

 

Home Up Patents Copyrights Trademarks Trade Secrets IRS Taxes Estate Planning Links About Me Contact

 

Flooring

 

One of my recent home projects involved installing hardwood flooring in two bedrooms of our house.  The picture below gives an idea of what the final project looked like.  The AL-oxide prestained/precoated wood was 4.5-inch wide, 5/8-inch thick, hand-scraped Brazilian Teak.  This has got to be the hardest wood I have ever worked with!  While the flooring supplier (Lumber Liquidators) estimated 5% material waste, this was not a real concern for the installation.  However, I estimate about 10% of the staples I used were just mangled trying to penetrate the tongue of these boards (even using a pneumatic stapler)! This 10% fastener loss resulted in a LOT of extra time removing mangled staples and refastening.   As with most jobs, prep work was 90% of the job, requiring subfloor removal, installation of new installation, screwing down the new subfloor, and sealing prior to actual floor installation.

One side note on this install involves the bed shown in the picture.  Due to floor warping/settling in this room there exists a 1-2 inch low spot all along the far wall, which would have made the bed sit at an awkward angle with respect to the floor given the original bed frame.  Solution was to create new legs for the bed frame by removing old frame legs and installing some 1-inch pipe as the new legs,, raising the overall bed height about 10 inches and elevating the rear to compensate for the floor sag.  A side benefit of this modification is that anti-scrape pads could be attached to the bottom of the legs and covered with felt to prevent damage to the floor by the bed frame.

One interesting implementation note on this floor install was the fact that I used the "non-prime" material in the closets and finished this portion of the install FIRST.  I started by fitting planks within the door jams of the closets and then nailing them in place to position them for the first course of boards moving OUTWARD from the corresponding interior wall.  Since this placed the tongue of the plank within the closet door jam as the mating edge for the first course of boards within the room, finishing out the room was relatively easy after this board was installed.  You might ask how the closets were completed given the board groove facing the interior of the closet.  This was accomplished by inserting a 1/4-inch hardwood square rod into the groove of the closet door plank with wood glue and then gluing this to the first course of boards installed within the closet.  This technique permitted the closet interiors to be started from the closet door threshold, moving INTO the closet and finishing up at the rear wall of the closet.  This technique guaranteed that all planks fit to one wall and that partial planks were fitted to the far wall of each closet.  This technique in conjunction with selecting the "non-prime" wood for the closets really worked out well and permitted the longer "prime" lumber to be used in the main body of the rooms.

The end-cut and reject loss with the wood in this project was far less than the 5% we budgeted for, and as such the end scrap was utilized to make teak drinking glass coasters by turning the 5x5 end scraps on a lathe.

 

Contact Information:

Kevin Mark Klughart

Registered Patent Attorney, USPTO

3825 Leisure Lane, Denton, TX 76210-5589

tel: 800-353-1211 / 940-320-0580  -  fax 940-320-0581

Kevin@Klughart.com   email  -  web    www.Klughart.com

Home Up Patents Copyrights Trademarks Trade Secrets IRS Taxes Estate Planning Links About Me Contact